Wireguard is a very promising VPN protocol. Wireguard and Surfshark trial @ Turkiye is simple, léger and Opensource under GPLv2 license. The developer behind WireGuard is Jason Donenfeld, founder of Edge Security. His white paper is available here.
- Many VPN services (Private Internet Access – NordVPN – VPN.AC – TorGuard) are placing a lot of hope in it because the first developments are very positive. Private Internet Access and NordVPN offer it on all their networks (as an alternative to OpenVPN).
- Warning: The WireGuard protocol is under development and still requires some backtracking. As far as connection speed is concerned, it is clear that it is superior to OpenVPN. Néute;anmoins for everything that is security OpenVPN has already proven itself.
- Wireguard presents itself as a complete alternative to OpenVPN. WireGuard offers 3 strong features:Better performance in terms of speed– Sécurization renewed entirely – Itinérance
Connection speed with Wireguard
VPNs have the main purpose of reducing connection speeds. The more powerful your Internet Line is, the more important the carts are. Despite the constant improvements of the OpenVPN (GCM operating mode) and of the servers’ download capacities, this is still a technical field that needs to be improved. Wireguard was designed primarily to improve connection speeds (the author says he got the idea from using Netflix in OpenVPN!).
The main advantage, according to the author, is that it is possible to use the OpenVPN in the same way as a PC.
The main advantage according to the developers of Wireguard would be the speed and connection performance of this new protocol. It would be on the one hand faster and would have on the other hand the Pings much lower than those of Surfshark opinioni nel Italia.
The reasons for such advantages are
The reasons for such results are multiple:
- Linux kernel module. WireGuard is exé as a module à the interior of the Linux kernel.
- The connection process between the client and the server is simplified. WireGuard uses a pair of public key / private key to manage the authentication of the server and the different clients (SSH operation).
- His current source code is less than 4,000 lines of code, which makes implementations easier and programs more powerful.
Security level with Wireguard
WireGuard provides a complete cryptographic «package, ensuring connectivity without having to select anything. This package was designed by the same person (Daniel J. Bernstein):
- ChaCha20 for encryption. ChaCha20 (derived from the older Salsa20) is a symmetric encryption algorithm. The ChaCha encryption method and family, which has similar functionality but a different turn function, was proposed by Bernstein in 2008 and improves the performance of Salsa20. ChaCha20 owes its name to the fact that it exerts 20 turns (rounds).
- Poly1305 as an authenticator. Poly1305 is used to verify the integrity of the data and the authenticity of a message. As with all excellent operating modes (GCM), authenticity is not separated from integrity. This is probably one of the reasons why Wireguard is faster then a VPN barato no Brasil.
- Curve25519 for Diffie-Hellman key exchange. Curve25519 is an elliptical curve offering 128 bits of security and designed for use by the Diffie-Hellman key exchange protocol. ECCs are already very common in the OpenVPN protocol. The curve was first published by Daniel J. Bernstein in 2005
How safe is the new algorithm? : Its developer Salsa20 has benefited from strong security analyses (Salsa20 security and The eSTREAM Portfolio). ChaCha20 has closed known vulnerabilities in Salsa.